This recipe is good on a cold winter day. You can make it creamy or leave it more liquid.
Be sure to soak and thoroughly rinse the leeks before cooking as they often have sand in the layers.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cups green leeks, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 cups diced potatoes (4-5 large, yellow potatoes)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Season to taste with the following
- Black pepper
- Celery flakes
- Cajun or other spicy seasoning if desired
- 4 slices bacon, optional
- Cheddar cheese, optional
- Heavy cream, optional
- Heat large pot over medium high heat.
- Melt butter and coconut oil until hot (careful not to burn)
- Add leeks and garlic and saute until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes
- Add mushrooms and saute another 3 minutes
- Add potatoes and saute 10 min
- Add broth and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes
- To thicken soup, remove about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of the soup and puree in a blender then return back to the pot. Stir and simmer an additional 5 minutes. (Note: You may also thicken by adding 1 – 1 1/2 cups heavy cream)
- Serve Top with crispy bacon bits and cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice), if desired